Sunday, June 14, 2009

Busy and productive weekend..

This weekend, Donald and I tackled the front flower box. This is an area that has been largely neglected since we moved in. Since both our neighbors on either side have gone into some kind of landscaping frenzy, something had to be done.

I am sorry to say it started out like this:
I know. BAD. In fact, I didn't realize how bad until I looked at this photo...

Donald told me he would meet me at the house at noon, but since I was getting my hair done by the very very lovely Justin, I was late.

By the time I got home, It looked like this:Already an improvement.

Although I still want to paint the brick on our house a nice olive-tan.

Then we set off to the flower store and bought milkweed something, lantana, and vinca. All things that thrive in hot weather. For some reason, Texas (or at least Houston) has decided to pretend we are Phoenix. Holy crap it's hot and dry.

The Mini looked like this:
Here is where some real fun began. This flower bed was so full of roots. It was crazy. You didn't just dig a hole, put in the plant, and move on. You stared to dig a hole, then got a hand saw, the claw looking garden tool, and even a big hedge trimmer to attack the roots... THEN put the plant in the hole and move on.

Guess how hot is was on Saturday?

102.

Guess how we know that?

My loving husband came out to tell us.

While he drank water.

Barefoot.

Him: How can I help?

Me: go away!

I get a little angry when I am burning up hot.

After the planting was finally complete, we have this:

Much better! I just hope the milkweed fills in a little bit.

Then we went and played in the kiddie pool for about 2 hours, and I still can't get the water out of my ears!

1 comment:

The Riddle Family said...

Oh my gosh it's so cute!!! I love what you planted! :)