Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Spicy Thai Noodles with Shrimp

Awhile back, I re-pinned a recipe for Thai Noodles:



Original link: Thai Noodles

I was pretty excited so this week, after the farmer's market, I decided to make these and add some shrimp.

Here is my initial reaction:

All in all, I liked the dish. There are things I would change and here is why:

1 - the heat element/factor: I didn't like the type of heat. It was more burning than pleasant. The only source of spice was red pepper in the oil. I found this to be a little bland.
2 - sesame oil: I felt this overpowered the dish. I only tasted Sesame and then the heat. The rest of the flavors felt lost.

What I would do different:
1 - I would use just olive oil with maybe a splash of sesame oil.
2 - I would leave any heat out of the dish (unless maybe a little garlic/red pepper paste made it's way in) and would add a little touch of Sirachi to the dish once it was served. I think this dish needs the vinegar/tartness that the crushed red pepper lacked. I found the heat unpleasant rather than a happy spice that I get from Sirachi.

Other alternatives may be to add rice vinegar to the sauce.

All in all, we enjoyed this dish and here is a photo of how it turned out:


I can't wait to try this again with my alternatives and see how it differs.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Diane Haynes said...

Looks really good. Sounds good too. I like cooking with Sirachi, such a wonderful cooking sensation.