Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Homemade Pasta - Attempt #1

For the first time ever, I made homemade pasta. It went - ok. I first tried running it through my Kitchen Aide attachment, but it would get so warm that the dough would get all gooey and stuck inside the deal and not exactly push through the slots on the pasta shaper thing. So I grabbed the hand crank one that does Fettuccine and Angel Hair. The only thing I did wrong was not roll it thin enough. So the noodles were a little dumpling-like. But otherwise a good first try.
I also made home-made pesto!
I also found that the attachment on my mixer is moody. The leaves can't be too big. The dough can't be too soft. Etc.
Here are some pictures from my 4 hours in the kitchen Sunday!
Finished product of Pesto. Learned that i needed a little more EVOO.Finished product of dinner - chicken sauteed with garlic and shallots, atop thick noodles and pesto.
Lee loved it, he just drizzled a little more evoo on it and had 2 helpings!
I am thinking of a re-attempt on Sunday and going meat-sauce marinara. Maybe I could get tomatoes and crush them through the processor and make true-homemade sauce? Then again, i would spend more on tomatoes than just a can of San Martzano crushed tomatoes.

I did reward myself with Willams Sonoma Peppermint Hot Chocolate.

1 comment:

The Riddle Family said...

YUM your pasta looks good! You're so talented! I've always wanted to make my own pasta from scratch!

And OMG, I just bought some peppermint hot chocolate from the William Sonoma Outlet today! Can't wait to try it! Looks so yummy!

Hope Lee had a safe trip and wasn't gone too long!