Monday, April 11, 2011

....And Then They Meet

On Saturday, Lee and I will celebrate our 6 year anniversary. I wanted to spend this week telling our story. I hope you enjoy it! 
Part I: ....And then they meet....
As I sat in my 3x2 cube that was one in a vast sea of others, cold calling Bell South customers to bother them for long distance service, someone sat down beside me..


"Hey! I'm Lee. Is anyone sitting here?"
This guy... a frat boy in his t-shirt, backwards hat, mesh shorts and... Birkenstocks?

"Sure. It's open." 

In small little Nacogdoches, being a telemarketer was about the only way to earn a decent paycheck. Since I lived on my own in an apartment, I was willing to be hung up on, cussed out, and ignored all day for $12 an hour. The only real drawback was being at work on Saturday at 8am. So when he walked in and sat down, I wasn't very alert.

As the day wore on, Lee and I talked a little bit. Where you from, what's your major, etc. When the subject of significant others came up, I was very adamant:
"I have a boyfriend. Of 4 years. We are getting married after college."

"Ok. Cool."

Lunch came up and he very sheepishly told me and the girl next to me "Hey look, I have no money until we get paid. Can someone spot me some Subway?"
You have to be kidding me!, I thought. But of course, we told him we would spot him a sandwich.

Then, at Subway, something happened. I laughed and laughed until I almost peed my track pants. He was funny! Quoting Office Space and other movies. He had this loud, boisterous, contagious laugh that I just loved listening to.

Still. I had a boyfriend.

Over the coming days and weeks, Lee talked to me often at work and I kept shutting down any advances for dinner/dates. Denial was in full force, but deep inside I knew there was something about this guy I couldn't deny. 

At home, however, boyfriend and I were having issues. We had hit the point where breaking up was too scary because after 4 years, things were comfortable and easy. But we were far from the love struck couple we had been before. 
One night, boyfriend and I broke up, for about 30 minutes. He just didn't know if I was the one. But again, neither one of us could quite pull the plug...

The next morning I went to work and pulled Lee aside and said "We almost broke up last night. How can he not know after 4 years?"

It wasn't much longer and we went on "a break." Picture the scenario in Friends and this is exactly it, except I am Ross. We agreed to take a break. See other people if we needed to, just to see what is out there. 

So I did. 

A few times. 

After one week, I told him "I want to break up. For good. This just isn't working anymore." 

Then I curled up in a ball and bawled my eyes out for hours. This was a death to me. My identity for the past 4.5 years was dead. Now I was a single girl in college!

For 24 hours.

Then it was Lee. All the time. Every day. Every night. 

At the 2 week mark Lee turned to me and said "I want to say something but I just can't. It's too soon."

I looked him in the eye and said "I love you too."

He smiled and said "This is it. I am going to marry you."
 Our First Date - Sigma Chi House Party

Stay tuned for the next part, tomorrow!

17 comments:

Mami en construcción said...

Awwwww.
This is so sweet!!
I'm loooving your love story!!
Can't wait to read more!!!
Thanks for sharing!!
That picture of you two is so cute!!
Happy you found each other!

Lee said...

Geez I used to be skinny!

Diane Haynes said...

That is so sweet. Great Picture!!

Lori said...

Things happen for a reason! My hubby told me he loved me after 3 weeks, and we've been married 3.5 years now!

Joy Taylor said...

Super cute!!!! I almost wanna cry!!!

Suniverse said...

What a cute story. I love hearing how couples met.

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Love that about the "i love you."
Love your new blog design.
Love this post.

Oh, and I just realized that, even though you are in my blog roll on my blog, I was actually "following" your blog. I was super annoyed all day that I couldn't find your blog on RSS feeder (internet blocked at work). Problem solved! Phew.

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Recommend Byline RSS feed app if you don't have it already, by the way.

Sarah said...

I just got goosebumps. I love this story. :)

em_lieu said...

That is super sweet! I even teared up. I can't wait until part 2!
:D

Mami en construcción said...

Love your new layout!! It's great!!

Unknown said...

Awww!! What a sweet story and what a cute picture! I love it. I also think "Baby Nash" is a good mix of the two of you. Happy anniversary week!

Erin I'm Gonna Kill Him said...

Much better than Match.com. Great story!

Nina said...

Aww, so sweet! Love to read love stories.

Marie said...

So very sweet. :)

Unknown said...

What a great story (so far)! Happy SITS Day!

Unknown said...

You told this very well indeed!

Happy SITS day!